Friday, February 19, 2016

Celebrate We Will!- Celebrating Students Learning Achievements

Kindergarten and the expectations of kindergartners has changed so much since I first began teaching.  We have been more focused on data to guide students learning.   I am always trying to think of ways to encourage and motivate my students to learn to keep up with the rigorous pace that is expected in kindergarten.  I wanted to share how I keep my students motivated, parents informed, and celebrate students achievements.

I created learning goals crowns as a way to reach these targets.
 
They are a favorite of students and I wanted to share how I use them in my classroom to keep students motivated!

I copy all material and have them prepped for August when we start school... I use crowns for letter names, letter sounds, number identification 1-20, counting to 100 and sight words.   I keep all of our crowns for the whole year in my assessment binder with each students tracking sheet.   Each time I assess students, I record it on their tracking sheet. 
I try to use a different color pen each time I assess and record the date in that color.   This also provides you with documentation on the child and their learning if you should happen to need it. 
If a child is able to identify something, I circle it.  I usually go back to recheck letters or numbers that are marked in the the previous color that I assessed, to make sure the student really remembers it.

The students also keep track of their learning on their crown.  They color in the letter names, sound or numbers that they know, each time they are assessed.
I store all of my crowns and tracking sheets in my assessment binder and students update them each time they are assessed.
I also copy my tracking sheet and keep it in my students homework folder and update it weekly... It is amazing how much they learn in a week and they the students know and their parents know what they still have to work on.
Keeping the tracking sheet in their homework folder and updating it regularly, has also helped so much in getting parents involved in their child's learning.

I try to assess each student every week for most of the first quarter and keep it updated it in their homework folder.  I usually have 25-30 students in my class each year so I make sure I assess a few students each day to keep it updated.  Using this accountability and motivation, it amazed me how quickly students are able to learn their letters and sounds.   Most of my students come in not being able to identify any letter names or sounds in August, and the majority of my class is usually able to master all letter names and letter sounds by the end of the first quarter. 

Once a student has mastered a concept, for example, knowing all of their letter names, they get their crown to wear home!  They love it and are always so proud of their achievement!!!

These crowns have really given students ownership and accountability for this learning.  On more than one occasion, I have assessed a child and sent them home. The next day they come into the classroom being so excited that they learned those last few numbers or letters.   They let the students know what their learning targets are for these basic skills an what they still have to learn to get there!

You can check out these Learning Goals Crowns in my TPT store by clicking on the image below, they have worked wonders in my classroom! Included in this packets are crowns for letter names, letter sounds, sight words, counting to 100, number identification 1-20, and also include and editable crown, just in case you would like to add more :))
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Student-Data-Tracking-and-Goal-Setting-Crowns-1376168
What resources have you found to be effective for students to keep track of their learning?

No comments:

Post a Comment