Friday, February 5, 2016

Composing Teen Numbers

We have been working this week on composing teen numbers in my classroom.  I was impressed with how quickly most of my students understood the concept. We had worked on identifying teen numbers back in 2nd quarter so my students had that background knowledge.
I love introducing new concepts with youtube videos.  I know that all students learn in different ways and the catchy tunes I think really stick with some students.   One of my favorites for teen numbers is Jack Hartman's Teen Numbers.  I think the visuals and tune are great!
In our classroom, we do A LOT of work using ten frames as a support for my students.  We began by showing teen numbers on double tens frames. There was a lot of discussion on how these numbers in the teens are a group of tens and some more. 
By using a double ten frame, we were able to easily transfer of knowledge of addition to create number sentences for teen numbers.  I love involving my students in the creation of our anchor charts, giving them ownership of it, so as a group we made this anchor chart together.

We also worked with partners to make teen numbers.  My students love using spinners so we also created our own number sentences using tens frames.  Students spun a spinner to show that number in a tens frame and then created a number sentence to match. 
 You can find this product in my Teen Numbers Unit in my TPT store

We worked with partners to create teen numbers.  I gave each set of partners a dry erase board and a magnetic ten frame (which my students LOVE).  One partner wrote an equation to match a teen number and the other partner made it on a ten frame. 
We checked answers and then they switched jobs.  This gave both students practice on both tasks.  
As a culminating activity, students created their own snowman teen number.   Each students rolled a teen number dice so everyone was randomly assigned a number.  They represented that number in a tens frame and showed it in a number sentence.



I then had them q tip dot that number of "snowflakes" on their paper, showing that number in yet another way.
 I was so happy with how the final product turned out and my students were also super proud!

You can grab this freebie by clicking on the image below:
Teen Number Snowman Craft
Once my students had fluency, we played race to the board with teen numbers.  I created this race to the board game at the beginning of the year and love it because I can use it for so many things in math.  We have used it for number identification, tens frame, and now teen numbers.  For this activity, we showed 10 + ____ number sentences and students solved the answer and raced to the number
It is amazing to be how quickly the students had this number fluency.  I really think that the amount of work that we did with tens frame and students really having an understanding of number sense really contributed to this success.

1 comment: