Saturday, June 22, 2019

Kindergarten Behavior Expectations and Think Sheet

Teaching behavior expectations in kindergarten is important, especially in the first few weeks of school.  This often sets the stage for your class for the entire year.  For students to fully understand what is expected of them, it is important that teachers address and teach these expectation. 
I usually spend a lot of time during the first weeks of school teaching student expectations and classroom behaviors. We complete sorts of good choices and bad choices in the classroom and discuss what makes them good and bad choices.
We complete these sorts whole group and students also complete individual behavior reflection sheets.  These work great during the first few weeks of school or when students may need a review.  

These include different levels of difficulty beginning with students simply deciding if an actions is a good or bad choice, to a student sort of good and bad choices (this is a freebie at the end of the blog post) to finally illustrating or writing good or bad choices.
Also we color an emergent reader reviewing some of the classroom expectations.
These can also just be used as little coloring pages when a classroom expectation is introduced. 
In your classroom, you may want to challenge your students to focus on a certain expectation for a week.  Included are posters that would work great for this:

              
These provide a visual and focus for students when expectations are being taught.  You can make it a game and provide an incentive if students can meet this expectation a certain amount of times in a week.
Once these expectations are taught it is important to keep students accountable to their actions.  I have been using a visual think sheet in my classroom that is perfect for this.  It is very appropriate for your early learners in pre-k or kindergarten or special ed because it includes pictures for students to show what they did.    Students simply color in the choice they made and a better choice they can make.
Visual Think Sheet

These are great reflections for students, communication for parents and documentation if necessary.
You may also want to post these cool down methods where students can reflect on strategies to cool down, instead of getting upset.

You can find this entire Behavior Think Sheets and Activities in my TPT store
Visual Think Sheet and Behavior Sorts


53 comments:

  1. Hello there, I am a Tutor for second language children here in Johannesburg, South Africa. I am so pleased I came across your site via Pintrest and would like to thank you for this excellent idea which I shall adapt for 'my kids' who are a bit older and who sulk (sometimes!) With appreciation, Lestie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get the free sort to open?? It just opens the image. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get it to open either. :/ Would love to use this!

      Delete
  3. I tried to open the behavior sort as well and wasn’t able to. I would love to try it out with my firsties this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would love to use this but your freebie link isn't working. Could you send it to me? vanmaelefamily@comcast.net
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did she ever email this to you? If you are emailing them Ms. Moran I would appreciate you emailing it to me as well at gina.roberson@kingscoe.org

      Delete
  5. I can’t get the free sort but the link isn’t working. Could you send it to me?
    jwheeler@elbert.k12.ga.us

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't get it to open either. It is a great idea! Can you send it to me at jvolstad70@gmail.com?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could you send it to me too please...

    melissacoltonblick@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love the free sort too, but can't get the link to work. If you could send it to me I would greatly appreciate it. Backyardkidslovelearning@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love the freebie as well. The link does not work
    sarlim@ccsd15.net
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to try this sort out! Could you send it to me? ambradley@enidk12.org

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love this sort too! So excited to use it with my firsties. Would you mind sending it to me as well. Thank you! :) lovejunk77@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to use this with my kindergarteners! However, I can't get the image to work...
    Can you send it to me please?
    debbie.critchelow@breck.kyschools.us

    ReplyDelete
  13. The free link would be perfect for my kindergarten students!! Can you send to bcatalanatto@gmail.com

    Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. can you please email the free sort to williamsry@desarcschools.org

    ReplyDelete
  15. can you please email the free sort to stlopez@vviewisd.net

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! Could you please share the free sort to hdalred@yahoo.com
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can you please email the free sort to lcatalano@nkcps.k12.va.us
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can yo please email me the free sort and Good/Bad Choice.
    Thank you
    Virginia
    vrucker@stfrancescabriniphila.org

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi!! Loved these sorts!!!
    Could you please send them to me ?
    chinameyu@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are wonderful! Would you please send them to me? Thank you in advance!!
    sbrown@duplinschools.net

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't get it ether. :( ms.nitzah@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Would you send it to me as well? mstaylorann@hotmail.com
    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That sounds super!!! Would you send it to me? loidagonzalezreyna@gmail.com

    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  24. ruthie.howard@pgcps.org.... may I please get a copy also. THANK YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's nice a good reminder for my child..could you please send it to melinda.juwita@gmail.com..thank u ^^ have a blessed day

    ReplyDelete
  26. Unable acess TPT chart?
    How much money are they?
    Please send ..need help wirh special need prek
    Visuas work wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  27. please send me this.it is very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. please send this to me. thank you! jenchris3@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I would love to use the free sort. Would you send it to me kim@shapingyounghearts.org

    ReplyDelete
  30. Replies
    1. Love this! Could you please share the free sort to lyzhjohn@gmail.com
      Thanks so much!

      Delete
  31. can you please send this to me as well at Kris.okazaki@k12.hi.us

    ReplyDelete
  32. can you please send this to me as well @ bessyulichan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I cannot get the link to work and I would LOVE this sort! Can you please send it to me duncank1221@gmail.com Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I would love to use this, it would really help our class. My email is theresemcarthy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I would love to use the behavior sort! Could you please send it to mpedersen@msd3.org? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I Would love to use this, can you please send it to me @ fakmay@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. I would love to use this with my class. Can you please send it to holbrds@bay.k12.fl.us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love this idea! May I please use this? If so, may you send it to asharris@imhotepacademy.net? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  40. can u please send the behavior sort to me? christine.choate@nn.k12.va.us thx!

    ReplyDelete
  41. hi can you please send me this behavior chart for my class? thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Please could you send me the behaviour chart. It would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  43. where can I get a copy of these? They're perfect

    ReplyDelete
  44. my email is brandyflemming@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete