Sunday, May 8, 2016

Kindergarten Summer Review Packet

As summer is near (10 school days left for me!) we want our students to continue to practice everything that they have learned in kindergarten.  Each year I see 1st grade students come back, who have regressed during the summer because they are not practicing skills.  We all are aware of the "summer slide" and I needed a fun way for students to practice these skills, that did not require a ton of copying on my part!  This year I am giving my students a summer packet to review basic reading, writing, phonics and math skills.  

Each of these content areas has several different skills for students to practice over the summer.  Each subject area is on its own sheet, with different activities for students to do.
Reading tasks include activities such as creating a character puppet, reading a fiction and nonfiction book on the same topic and signing up for a summer reading program.
Writing tasks include writing about a book that you read, writing directions to something they make and writing to their new teacher.
Phonics and phonological awareness tasks include writing sight words with chalk, creating a rhyming game, and a car ride alphabet game!
Math tasks include counting to 100, making solid shapes out of playdough, and making story problems. 
There are fun activities for students to complete that provide students the opportunity to practice basic skills so they are all prepared for 1st grade!

Also included is a parent letter explaining the importance of continued learning during the summer. 
Students can assemble their summer reading packet during the last few days of school.
 
You will needed a file folder and simply have students cut the pages out so there are tabs, staple and glue to the file folder.  And voila! You have a summer packet for student with a variety of activities fun activities.
I also added a summer reading sheet, where students color a picture for every book that they read.  You can grab this Summer Reading Recording Sheet Freebie

And a sight word list to the back cover as a reference for parents and students.

You can check this Summer Review Packet
I am so excited about these for my classroom and would love to share a free copy with the first 5 people who comment below.  Please leave your e-mail address so I know where to send it!
I hope that you enjoy the last few days of your school year!!


7 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Thank you :) Noorad05@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect for my grandsons!! sealig@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever way to organize it. Loularkin@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome to prevent the Summer Slide for my kiddos, but I fear I'm too late to access it free. Could I please get it anyway? It would be wonderful and I thank you! bniermann@sjl.org

    ReplyDelete